Unearthed at Athens… Thought to have Been Indians of Gigantic Proportions.
Athens, O., Dec. 6.-The skeletons of two Indians have been unearthed along the banks of Hocking river at Roach;s mill, half mile east of Athens. Athens
The excavation was made under a large building a short distance from the bank of the river, Unearthed a few feet from the skeletons were many arrowheads, which no doubt were hurled with the redskins when they were sent either by accident or natural death to the happy hunting grounds.
The skeletons were evidently those of gigantic men. Judging by the bones, they could not have measured no less than seven feet in stature. The bones were in an excellent state of preservation, the teeth being still firmly imbedded in the maxillary bones.
- Stark County Democrat Canton, Ohio, Dec 07, 1900 . pg 1. “gigantic men” Research done by Rephaim23
- Athens Messenger, (Athens Ohio) April 21, 1870. Two Very Large Skeletons.
- Ohio Democrat, (New Philadelphia, Ohio). February 24, 1871. A Giant Skeleton 8 feet 6 inches in length.
- Athens Messenger, (Athens, Ohio). July 4, 1878. A Homer Township Mound opened.
- Athens Messenger, (Athens, Ohio). August, 6, 1903. MOUND BUILDERS MONUMENTS, The Silent Witnesses of a Gigantic Prehistoric Race, Long Agone.
- Centennial Atlas of Athens County, Ohio, 1905. Woman Skeleton, the Bones were Remarkably Large.
- Athens Messenger, (Athens, Ohio). August, 5, 1970, Beware of the Supersize Indian. . . . eight Feet long and he Might be Larger. . . skeletons were more than eight feet tall. . . One skeleton of a man between eight and nine feet tall was recovered, . . .