At the settlement of the English, the Indians in the center of the place retired to Indian Point, lying between East River and the Sound. Here they had a burying ground, the traits which are now to be seen. The house of Daniel Buckingham Esq., stands on one side of the burying ground. In digging the cellar of the house, a number of skeletons were exhumed, one of which were near eight feet in length. They were buried in a horizontal position, and appear to have been laid on a bed of charcoal, and covered with the same.
History of the Colony of New Haven, Before and after the Unionwith Connecticut, 1838