The largest of mounds in Grant County is that one found two miles south and one mile west of Upland, in Jefferson Township. About forty years ago the mound was five or six rods in diameter and about 50 feet high. At that time it was covered with all kinds of timber.
After people began settling near the mound they began clearing away the timber. The dirt was carried about a quarter of a mile. There is a basin near, rather deep, and at that time it was covered with trees, the same as the mound. The supposition of the old settlers was that the dirt in the mound was carries from where the basin is now.
The owner of the mound gave permission to dig into it, one day two men were given permission to dig. They dug a trench north and south about four feet deep. After digging they found part of a skeleton of a man, the thigh-bone, ball and socket joint, and many small bones. When the small bones were exposed to the air they immediately crumbled. The ball and socket and thigh-bones were taken to a physician in Upland and he estimated the bones were of a man at least nine feet tall and not weighing less than three hundred pounds and the man was not fleshly.
- Indiana Department of Geology and Natural History, 1883 Grant County, Indiana. “nine feet tall”
- Lest we forget – Reminescences of the Pioneers of Grant County, Indiana. Marion, Indiana. High School History Department, 1921. page 82 & 83.
- Lest we forget – Reminescences of the Pioneers of Grant County, Indiana. Marion, Indiana. High School History Department, 1921. page 29 & 30.
- Combination Atlas Map of Grant County, Indiana. 1877. “and the stature of some must have been seven feet.