The mound builders have left their traces in this township. There were three clearly defined fortifications when the first settlers came here. All three were upon the high banks of the Huron; the first in the second section, near the north line, and on the west side of the river; the second in the first section, on the east side, and the third in the fourth section, on the place occupied by Mrs. Morrill. F. W. Fowler, one of the pioneers, described these earth works as from two to four feet above the surface of the ground. Large trees were growing upon some of these embankments. Near these forts were mounds or hillocks, which were found to contain human bones, promiscuously thrown together, as if a large number of bodies had been buried at one time. The skull bones, when found entire, were shown by measurement to be larger, upon the average, than those of the present race, and all exhibited marks that would indicate that life had been taken in deadly combat. Scattered among the skulls and vertebrae, and arm and leg bones, were stone pipes and fragments of burnt clay. Otherwise there was nothing to testify of the nature of the vanished race. Long before the coming of the white men the fertile lands along the Huron were a favorite camping ground for the Indians. 
- History of Milan, Erie County, OH (part 1) From: The Centennial History of Erie County, Ohio By: H. L. Peeke President of the Firelands Historical Society
Sandusky, Ohio 1925
2) A Tradition of Giants, Ross Hamilton:footnote 97 Evening Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Sunday, February 27, 1910 (These bones were reburied on the spot, and this grave exists yet today.
3) The Evening Telegram, Norwalk Ohio, February 28, 1910. Prehistoric Man is Found near Norwalk. Fitchville is Excited Over the finding of a Giant Skeleton Which Measured over Eight Feet in Length.
4) History of Milan, Erie County, OH (part 1) From: The Centennial History of Erie County, Ohio By: H. L. Peeke President of the Firelands Historical Society
Sandusky, Ohio 1925
5) Sketches and Stories of the Lake Erie Islands, by Theresa Thorndale, Sandusky, Ohio, I.F. Mack and Brother, 1898, p.11-12. [P.M.]