The county was formed in 1808 from Franklin County, Ohio. Both the county and its seat are named after the Delaware Indian tribe.
I was opening a mound near here and found traces of fire, – charred wood, with ashes. With this were portions of human skulls, also charred. Do similar remains exit elsewhere, from which we may infer that the Mound Builders offered human sacrifices?
One skeleton taken from this mound was seven feet eight inches in height.
- Is this not extraordinary? – Harold Heath, Delaware Ohio
- The Swiss Cross, A monthly magazine of Popular Science, Volume 1-2, 1887 pg 63. Colossal skeleton. “seven feet eight inches in height.”
- History of Richland County, Ohio, 1880, pg 181 Orange Township
- A Tradition of Giants, Ross Hamilton: History of Delaware County, footnote 98 History of Delaware County, Liberty Township – Considerably above medium stature.
- History of Delaware County, Concord Township. – 1880 One about 7 feet long. Concord Township. One about seven feet long.
- 20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio. 1908. One Seven Feet Long.