The county was named after an early Army fortification, Fort Defiance, which was so named by Mad Anthony Wayne to signify the settlers’ “defiance” of the Indians.
A mound was found on the high south bank of the Maumee River, a few roads west of the middle north and south line of section 20 and seven of Defiance Township. . . This mound was about four feet above the surrounding land, about thirty feet in diameter. Brice, who gave the writer this information, opened this mound in the year 1824. A small quantity of bony fragments were found which readily crumbled between the fingers upon being handled. Human teeth were found, some of which were of large size.
- History of Maumee River Basin, 1905 (Defiance County Ohio). Human teeth were found, some were of large size.”
- See the Sixteenth Report of Indiana Geology, page 104. By Colonel Robert S. Robertson, reported in the History oj Allen County, and to the writer.